NEWSLETTER UPDATE FRIDAY, JULY 8, 2022
COMMUNITY AND WARD NEWS
- Mayor’s City Builders Award goes too?
- Tuesday Open Door
- Rochon Gardens 65th In The Business
- Metcalfe Agricultural Society Strawberry Social
- Canada Day 2022 Around the Ward
- Indoor Roller Skating Larry Robinson Arena
- It's Take A Kid To The Golf Course Week
- Need A Slow Down For Us Lawn Sign
- OTM Pop Up Market
- Barnyard Fun Camp Kits – Osgoode Township Museum
- NROCRC Tools For School
- Summer Reading Club is back at the Ottawa Public Library
- Shroomfest Inc Music in the Park
- Bring Banners to Main Street
- Marionville Meet Me on the Main
- Play Music on the Front Porch Day
- Metcalfe St. Andrews United Church Annual Fish Fry Fundraiser
- Upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Event
- We are looking for Municipal Investigators
- What To Do In Ottawa
WARD 20 CONSTRUCTION LIST
- Government of Canada invests over $1.6 million in new technology for high-efficiency fertilizers
- Ontario Government Providing More Relief at the Pumps
COMMUNITY AND WARD NEWS
Mayor’s City Builders Award goes too?
This week at Council the Mayor’s City Builder Award was presented to Sharen Armstrong. Congratulations to Sharen for all her hard work and dedication with the Plowman’s Association, including Plowing For A Cure and Sharen’s endless list of volunteering and accomplishments. You are most certainly deserving of this award.
Tuesday Open Door
Super busy Open Door this week. A lot of discussions on building lots. If you missed today stop by next Tuesday July 12th from 1-5 pm.
Rochon Gardens 65th In The Business
It was a pleasure to meet up with the Rochon family, owners of Rochon Garden this week to present them with a certificate from myself and Mayor Watson for their 65th year in business. The family business has thrived and has grown from the initial start on June 15th, 1957 in the hamlet of Edwards, part of Ward 20.
Gerry, Diane, John and his wife Anne Marie were delighted to receive the certificate and take a moment to chat about the process of this huge produce and flower farm. Congratulations again Rochon family, and I wish you many more decades of success in this industry.
Metcalfe Agricultural Society Strawberry Social
The strawberry season has begun and the fresh homemade strawberry shortcake with ice cream is the rave. So refreshing in the middle of a sunny afternoon last Saturday and I am happy to support the local organizations like the Metcalfe Agricultural Society and their fundraising efforts.
Canada Day 2022 Around the Ward
This year’s celebration of Canada Day seems to mean so much more as we finally were able to participate in activities once again in person to hand out some frisbees, shake some hands and share smiles. Osgoode held their parade down Osgoode Main St that was lined up with hundreds of residents from young to seasoned in age enjoying every moment as we made our way down to the Community Centre. TeamDarouze also made their way to the Vernon and Greely celebrations as well. Truly great to see so many people getting their red and white Canada Day groove on.
Indoor Roller Skating Larry Robinson Arena
It's Take A Kid To The Golf Course Week
Need A Slow Down For Us Lawn Sign
- Your Metcalfe Community Association has a limited number of Slow Down for Us signs provided by the City of Ottawa available for pick-up on a first come first serve basis.
- They will be handed out on Sat July 9th between 11:00 am – 12:00 pm in the parking lot at the Larry Robinson Arena located at 2785 8th Line Rd
OTM Pop Up Market
Check out the Osgoode Township Museum Pop Up Market this weekend, July 10th.
Barnyard Fun Camp Kits – Osgoode Township Museum
- The Osgoode Township Museum is delighted to announce our new museum summer camp-kit, the Barnyard Fun Camp Kit!
- There are 10 engaging activities in the new “Barnyard Fun” camp kit including sheep herding, growing a crop, crafting a piggy bank, and even creating a board game.
- Included are the instructions and materials needed for each of the activities.
- The kit is recommended but not restricted to ages 6-12. A limited number of boxes are available so make sure to buy yours before they are gone.
How to Buy the Barnyard Fun Camp Kit?
- Kits are for sale via the Museum’s website and can be bought for $45
- Emails go out with how to curbside pickup at the museum
- Pickup is Saturday July 16th from 10am to 4pm at the museum
- For more information on the Barnyard Fun Camp Kits, please check out our website, contact the Osgoode Township Museum at firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit our Facebook page.
NROCRC Tools For School
NROCRC's Tools 4 School registration is now open. Parents can register their children online at https://nrocrc.org/how-nrocrc-can-help/tools-4-school-registration
Summer Reading Club is back at the Ottawa Public Library
- Summer Reading is back in full force at the OPL this summer. It’s easy to join the club, visit your local branch for your reading log and stickers, then get reading!
- Visit the Osgoode Village Park every Monday in July at 10:30am and the Greely Community Centre Park every Wednesday in July at 10:30am for Storytime in the Park.
- So much to explore, visit OPL/BPO for more information.
Shroomfest Inc Music in the Park
- Shroomfest Inc. & the Metcalfe Community Association are weekly “Live Music in the Park” every Thursday evening from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm (Weather permitting) in Victoria Park across from the Royal Bank, Victoria Street, Metcalfe, Ontario. Weather and attendance permitting in front of the Gazebo.
- Bring your lawn chairs and mosquito repellant and enjoy some tunes.
Bring Banners to Main Street
- Residents of Osgoode Ward, do you have a loved one or know of someone who has served, and you would like to have them recognized? Here is a wonderful opportunity.
- The link to register is open until Sat. July 15th 4:00 pm.
- If you have any questions or would like to speak to someone directly on how to proceed you are welcome to call Marc Sauve at 613-979-4718 or Gail Burgess at 613-821-4409
2022 Kids Fishing day poster July 9
If you are looking for something to do with the kids check this out Saturday.
Marionville Meet Me on the Main
- Wednesday, July 13th, 2022 : 17:00 to 20:00
- Address: 4629 Grégoire Road, Marionville
Play Music on the Front Porch Day
Metcalfe St. Andrews United Church Annual Fish Fry Fundraiser
Upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Event
- The City of Ottawa is hosting our next Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) event on Sunday, July 10 at the Conroy Snow Dump (3100 Conroy Rd).
- Residents are welcome to bring their materials to the event between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm.
- Please note that electronic waste is not accepted at HHW events hosted by the City.
- Residents can bring their electronic waste to the Trail Road Landfill Facility at no cost.
We are looking for Municipal Investigators
- We are looking for experienced individuals to investigate injury or death to livestock and/or poultry caused by wildlife as set out in section 7(6) of the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) Act.
- Information on the Wildlife Compensation Program and Municipal Investigators can be found at Municipality and Investigator Information and Resources (gov.on.ca)
- Applications including a summary of your experience, an introduction of yourself and contact information, or any questions you may have can be sent to RuralAffairs@ottawa.ca
What To Do In Ottawa
Rural Client Service Centres
- The City of Ottawa is pleased to announce that all three rural Client Service Centre locations are open.
- Our three rural locations will each be open for one day a week, from 8:30am to 4pm.
- Service will be provided at the respective locations on the following days:
- Tuesdays at the Metcalfe Client Service Centre, 8243 Victoria Street
- Wednesdays at the West Carleton Client Service Centre, 5670 Carp Road
- Thursdays at the North Gower Client Service Centre, 2155 Roger Stevens Drive
- We strongly recommend that clients schedule an appointment on www.ottawa.ca/csc Walk-ins will be accepted but priority will be given to scheduled appointments.
Recreation and Parks
- Now that summer is here, the farmers' markets are open across Ottawa.
- Please visit their web pages to confirm their hours of operation:
Discover Ottawa’s Rural Communities
- Make sure you obtain a Open air fire permit | City of Ottawa before you start any open air fires including a backyard fire or using a large fire pit.
- Prior to setting an open-air fire, you must first contact Ottawa Fire Services at 613-580-2880 to ensure that a fire ban is not in effect
WARD 20 CONSTRUCTION LIST
- The work completion is anticipated by the fall 2022 for
- Talbot St from Lawrence to Dead End
- Popham St from Lafortune to Dead End
- Broadway St from Lawrence to Lafortune
- Gregoire Road from Victoria Street to Marvelville Road, there will be intermittent lane reductions on Monday, June 27 until late August
- Multi-Use Pathway Link from Old Prescott Rd to Remmington Way: construction duration would be approximately 3-4 weeks.
- Pathway Link from Cosgrove Av to Parkway Rd: construction duration would be approximately 1-2 weeks.
- CANCELLED Mitch Owens Road from Bank Street to Ramsayville Rd, detour in place, July 8th at 7pm to July 11th at 5am
- Squire Road Twin Culvert construction to commence in early July 2022
- Yorks Corners Road Culvert construction to commence in early July 2022
- William Lindsay Grove from Mitch Owens Road to Hillcrest Road, culvert replacement road closure from Monday, 4 July 2022 to Monday, 8 July 2022.
- Bruce Street culvert at 8th Line Road and Sale Barn Road culvert 0.41 km north of Parkway Rd starting in July
- Piperville Road from Farmers Way to Anderson Road, culvert replacement, the road will be closed from Monday, 8 August 2022 to Friday, 19 August 2022.
Government of Canada invests over $1.6 million in new technology for high-efficiency fertilizers
Ontario Government Providing More Relief at the Pumps